February 7, 2013

Spotlight On Command: Scott Bradley

In the third installment of our latest feature "Spotlight on Command", we're talking with one of Shadow Fleet's founding members, Captain Scott Bradley, as he reveals his motivations for joining us all those years ago, his most memorable moments since, and his future prospects in the fleet.


You've been a member of the fleet from the very beginning. Can you tell us what drew you here all those years ago?

Well I'm getting on a bit now, so my memory isn't what it used to be! Though I do remember being a member of another Star Trek RPG site called Expansion Fleet. It was there that I originally met John Kawolsky, and through roleplaying on that site I seem to remember being emailed and getting an invitation to join Shadow Fleet. At the time I was just looking to RP as much as possible, so I took the chance and joined the site. And the rest is history.

Do you think Shadow Fleet has changed much since then?

Oh yes! But that's a good thing! Obviously we have more members now and more ships, but it's just the little things that you notice when you've been. From forum layout to the way things are done now, it's been a gradual process but I guess that's what makes Shadow Fleet last!

What has been your most memorable moment?

I am really struggling here! There have been literally dozens of moments in my time here! From becoming the XO of the Discovery, to helping plan season-long story arcs and all of the crew-mates that I've posted with! If I had to put it down to one moment, I would have to say the initial idea of creating minisodes with Admiral Kawolsky. It's no secret we are both massive Battlestar Galactica fans, and it was a couple of years ago we thought that we could adapt that format to Shadow Fleet, letting us get some more character stuff in between missions.

It's years later and the format is still going strong, and has spread to other ships! So they seem to be popular, and obviously I feel a great sense of achievement in having helped create them.

Now that we have four ships in the fleet, do you feel more pressure to make the Discovery stand-out above them?

Absolutely. Competition is healthy and I'm looking forward to us all pushing each other to be the best we can be. Obviously things haven't been ideal lately, and that's partly due to work commitments on my part. But I know that the Discovery can kick on and keep leading the way it has been for the past few years!

Surely you'll be due for promotion soon. Would you take it if it meant leaving the Discovery?

You'd have to get all of the medical crewmen in the fleet to put me in a straight jacket, drug me up and wheel me away before I would leave that ship! But seriously, I would be honored by it, but I can't see myself in any other role. I've got a lot planned for the Discovery, and I couldn't imagine not being there for it!

Finally, if you could pick just one word to sum up your time in Shadow Fleet, what would it be?

I don't know if that's possible. I'll try two; Frackin' awesome!

As always, a big thank you to Captain Bradley for taking the time out to answer these few questions. We're sure you'll agree it has been interesting to read about his experiences throughout Shadow Fleet's six year history.

In our next "Spotlight on Command" feature we'll be chatting with Commander Riley T. Munro about her time in the fleet and what she has planned for the crew of the Gibson. Keep checking back if you don't want to miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment