February 15, 2013

Spotlight on Command - Riley T. Munro

In the latest episode of our newest feature "Spotlight on Command", we're talking with USS Gibson Commanding Officer Riley T. Munro about her most memorable moments in the fleet, life as a Command Level Officer, and what makes the Gibson stand out against other SIMMs.

How long have you been a member of Shadow Fleet now?

My very first character that I created on Shadow Fleet was in January of 2008. Her name was Damiana, and since then I have really grown to love the fleet. I don't know where I'd be without it.

What has been your most memorable moment so far?

The most memorable moment for me on the fleet... wow, how do I answer that? That's rough. Personally, I could never explain how much I enjoy writing with Captain Scott Bradley, but a moment that I knew I had picked the right person to do character development was when he gave Munro her nickname, "Ro". Ever since then I have cherished every time we get to write anything together.

Which SIMM have you enjoyed role-playing on the most?


I both love and hate this question. How do you pick? The first ship I served on was the USS Discovery, and I loved it. But to be honest, I wouldn't give up the Gibson for the world, I've had other commands, but I am just proud of the Gibson and more so her crew. She is mighty little ship and the personnel teach me more than I could ever hope to teach them.

How did you feel when you were given command of the Gibson?


I was ecstatic. I went on for weeks about it. I spent months prior to her opening thinking of all the little things that would make us different. And she hasn't disappointed. Worth every moment I gave in thought... the crew brings her to life in a way not even my imagination could see.

What would you say separates the Gibson from the other SIMMs in the fleet?


Lots of things, I have a faith in my crew that they are capable of using their imagination, they are the heart and soul of the ship, so why not let them take up the reigns sometimes and be free to grow. I know that in the future, the fleet will have more ships, some of which will be commanded by people that are currently on the Gibson. I see the Gibson more like the original series of Star Trek than any other, due to the nature of the missions, and that they have life lessons in them.

In your opinion, what is the most difficult aspect of running a SIMM?
Once I became a commander, I found that sometimes my posting in mission lacks, sometimes because there just is too much to do outside of mission in admin work, but sometimes because I want to see the crew move things along, I don't want to always override their ideas. I think it comes off as being an absent leader, and I see that, but I hope they know they are my number one priority here on the fleet. Multitasking has never been one of my strong suits... so I could stand to learn and improve it.

Finally, if you could pick just one word to sum up your time in Shadow Fleet, what would it be?

Is "Life-changing" a word? If it isn't, I just made it one. When the fleet took me in, I was in a very rough patch in my life. They gave me that outlet that I needed to pour my issues into. I made friends I would have never gotten to meet and they have changed me for the better. I am the one who is honored to be here... Thank you to everyone, you make my ever so changing, chaotic life - bearable.

Thank you to Commander Riley T. Munro for what was, once again, another interesting installment of our "Spotlight on Command" series. Next time, we'll be focusing our attention on the First Officers of our fleet so keep checking back if you don't want to miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment