February 3, 2013

Spotlight on Command: Reece Thompson

Following on from our recent Q&A with Gettysburg Commanding Officer, Captain Lance Krol, we are pleased to announce the launch of a new feature series called "Spotlight on Command", focusing on the work carried out by the fleet's Command Level Officers.

In this installment, we chat to the newly-appointed Commander Reece Thompson about his previous experience in Shadow Fleet, his new position on the Churchill and his advice for any budding captains out there.

 How long have you been a member of the fleet?

I have been with Shadow Fleet for over just over three years. During my time here I have made a number of friends including: Riley T. Munro, Shelaf Greegy, John Brown, Alyssa Meadows and many others. The fleet has helped me a lot during those three years.

What has been your most memorable moment?

I think without a doubt, it was just after I joined. I was assigned to the USS Port Royal as a security officer and I was fighting off intruders in Engineering. The OOC roasting I got from Commander Munro was astounding. It was after that roasting I decided to brush up on my Star Trek knowledge, and realised that particle weapons and warp cores don't mix.

How many SIMMs have you role-played and which has been your favorite?


I've actually been on quite a lot of the SIMMs here. I get around a little bit. I've been on the USS Discovery a few times, I was also on the USS Intrepid at one point, the USS Port Royal while it was active, most recently I was on the USS Gibson and now on the USS Churchill for the second time I believe. So yeah, I've pin-balled around the fleet.

If I'm honest, I'm not really sure which was my favorite. I think that my time on the Discovery would rate just marginally higher though because the ship and storylines were established so well.

So you were recently given command of the Churchill. How did that feel?

Genuinely, I was surprised about it. I expected Mr Price or Mr Brown to be given the ship. I'm quite glad about it though. I'm quite new to command, having only been an XO beforehand, but luckily, my new XO is a former Captain of a SIMM, so I know that I'm in good hands.

Have you implemented, or are you planning to implement any changes to the SIMM?

I haven't implemented any changes yet, and for the time being, I can't think of anything I need to implement. Ask me again in a few weeks, I might have something more helpful.

What advice would you give someone wanting to pursue a command position in Shadow Fleet?

Well, first of all, don't get so attached to post counts. Although I'd tell that to anyone talking about any sort of promotion path. Don't rely just on post numbers to advance. The best way to get noticed for a command position is to help out your current command officers. Submitting mission ideas, welcoming new members, diffusing any confrontations between members. Any and all of these things would catch someones eye. Keep doing them, and there's a high possibility that once you hit Lieutenant, you'll be strongly considered for the COTC.

Short answer, don't just be a poster. Be an asset.

Finally, if you could pick just one word to sum up your time in Shadow Fleet, what would it be?

Fantastic!

A very big thank you to Commander Thompson for answering our questions. Keep your eyes open for our next installment of "Spotlight on Command", coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment